Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Your Most Faithful Friend is Living Inside Your Own Skin.





'I sing the body electric, I celebrate the me yet to come, I toast to my own reunion, when I become one with the sun and I'll look back on Venus, I'll look back on Mars, and I'll burn with the fire of ten million stars. And in time and in time we will all be stars."  by Michael Gore

And the best way to feel it is this:









This song inspired by the title of a Walt Whitman poem of the same name, ran through my internal soundscape all afternoon. As I said in my last post, the first step towards health is to bond with your body. I'm waking up. I'm just beginning to recognize my body. Can't believe how our culture has blinded us to this magnificent animal that carries our consciousness from place to place and takes such abuse and neglect. I feel such sadness and remorse that I did not see this before now.

Miles lets me know he is feeling neglected and in need of a walk.
If  my little dog Miles Joe Cocker can feel love, then our bodies do as well because we have the same
basic mammalian brains  and reptilian brains as other mammals and reptiles. My poor body has been starved for affection for decades.  It reminds me of the disease where an individual can't recognize their own spouse on sight but can by sound with their eyes closed. I am feeling so much gratitude today because she has put up with so much and complained so little. Now I'm paying very close attention to her.

Rescue worker comforts a rescued kitten after Hurricane Sandy
I hope you too can begin to realize that your body is a living breathing animal just like all the other  animals you love in your life. Just spend a little time with him or her and see how she feels. Become your own whisperer, like the horse whisperer, and the dog whisperer. Learn to listen and pay attention to subtle cues.We deserve to be rescued too.

No comments:

Post a Comment